Chapter History

The Ohio Gamma Chapter at The Ohio State University was founded on January 30, 1908.

In our years at Ohio State, we have seen many significant awards from the university. In the early 2000s, Sigma Phi Epsilon became the first Greek-letter organization at Ohio State to be selected as “Outstanding Student Organization” in several decades, recognized out of more than 1,000 registered student organizations.

National History

The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity was founded at Richmond College, now the University of Richmond, on November 1, 1901, based upon the Cardinal Principles of Virtue, Diligence, and Brotherly Love. The twelve founders of this fraternity sought to return to the true ideals of the Greek community, and since then SigEp has grown to over 260,000 lifetime members, including almost 15,000 undergraduates on more than 260 campuses in the United States, making it the largest fraternity in terms of undergraduate enrollment. In recent decades, SigEp has recruited more men than any other collegiate fraternity while simultaneously maintaining the highest first-year member retention rate (over 90%) of any national fraternity.

Former Grand Chapter President William Tragos’ speech, Beyond Phi Beta Kappa, set national fraternity goals of demolishing the negative stereotypes that plague the Greek community, rebuilding fraternity life into valued institutions solidly founded in high ideals, focusing on the development of a sound mind in a sound body through the Balanced Man Program.